Thursday, September 12, 2013

Saved Red Clover Seed

Beautiful red clover flowers saved after being dried in my kitchen.
 I picked one of the stems at night and didn't realize that it had already dried out.  Luckily, I discovered how clover goes to seed!  Each of those beautiful little red petals dries out and turns into a seed pod!
In the way that I'm assuming grains need to be processed, I pulled off all the little petals (seed pods?), crushed them between my fingers and lightly blew into the bowl to let the light stuff blow away.  The seeds look like little kale seeds.  So cool! I'm going to plant this wonderful perennial to harvest next year and for many years to come!

1 comment:

  1. Good to find your website. I've saved red clover this year but all I seem to have is a bow of fluff, like your third picture but can't see any little round seeds. Not sure if they'd already fallen out.

    ReplyDelete