Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Apple Butter–Part 1

After my Not Far From the Tree apple pick, I haven't had a big chunk of time to make apple butter so I have to do it in steps!! I found this recipe which I'm going to follow in the way that I follow most recipes... Not very well, haha
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/fruits/r/applebutter.htm
Today was step one–apple sauce
I washed my apples in the sink with some apple cider vinegar. What a beautiful sight!
It's been a few days since I picked and it's been pretty humid so this has started happening...  Needless to say I spend some time cutting out all the mush and worms and cores.
I cooked the whole pot of these down with 3 mason jars of water until it looked like apple sauce–voila! Free apple sauce! Step 2 to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment