Monday, April 8, 2013

Community Mind-Body Collaboration

I had a meeting with an ESL school for young students the other day and the owner, Sarah, and I were chatting about the possibility of having me and my company, bodymind ConfiDance, come in to do some movement workshops once a week.

The school's summer camp has each afternoon set aside for active learning–trips, workshops, hands on activities.

I was supremely excited by Sarah's desire to engage all types of learners, not just focus on rote "book learning", and explore different interesting topics as a tool to learn a new language.

In our discussion and brainstorming on structure and topics, I threw out the idea of food awareness. In talking a bit more about it, Sarah jumped right on board and we chatted for a good 15/20 minutes about potential trips, collaborations with outside organizations, subjects, and even went out on their space's back patio to see if we could grow any food back there. All I had to do was ask.

I'm hoping to use this opportunity to develop some food and consumption based mind-body workshopping to use with youth if Sarah is interested in having me in for the week.

I'm so glad I asked!  ALWAYS ASK!  The worst that can happen is you get a no.

No comments:

Post a Comment