Monday, April 22, 2013

First Potato Planting!

I'm building a stacking potato planter instead of needing to pile up soil on the ground.  The sprouts will shoot up and you just keep adding soil and potentially new seed potatoes to the bag as they grow. They will stack tall.  At the end of the season, you dump the soil and have a whole whack of potatoes! I have 3 bags going so I won't need to harvest everything at the same time. Here's how it goes:

My happy chitted potatoes, ready to go into the ground:
As I ran out of time to sew my own, I copped out and purchased 3 of those fold-y laundry-type bags from Dollarama (I know, I know!!) I punched a few holes in the bottom for drainage:
 Tied down the sides with the ripped up pant ties I made yesterday, through a little hole I made 2/3 down the side of the "planter":
Filled the "planter" with about a foot of soil, a bit of ash for potassium and blood meal for nitrogen (unfortunately I don't have any phosphorus, which potatoes really love...  Oh well, we'll see what happens!)
I made 4 holes a few inches deep (bag itself is approximately 2.5 feet in diameter), placed a potato with 3 sprouting eyes (or three small potatoes with one eye each) in each hole, with the eyes facing up, and covered with an inch or two of soil.
Water and wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment